Mata Nui Inc. | Plast!
Welcome to the Mata Nui Incorporated and Plast! Productions forums. We're two organizations composed of enthusiastic teenagers who want to entertain others. We all want to do stuff, whether it is making websites, creating publications, performing experimentations, and philosophize. Our current focus is to provide fun content for LEGO fans, while reviving interest in the BIONICLE fanbase as well. Here's a few links to get you to know us better:

Mata Nui Inc and Plast! -- Who are we and what we do

All our available content and publications can be found on KanohiJournal Publications (kanohijournal.com). More links on our specific projects can be found in the menu bar or the link that was provided above.

If you are looking to apply as a potential member, please contact us on riglax@gmail.com or bioran23@gmail.com. You can as well join the forums and contact one of the administrators for a job application.

Thank you,

The Administration
Mata Nui Inc. | Plast!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A meeting was held on Saturday March 24, at approximately 10:00 PM EST. The highlights of the meeting have been posted at the aforementioned link. If you have time, please review the meeting highlights.
We need judges for Lesovikk's Hiatus, which has now returned as a fanon contest. Apply here!
Get cracking quickly for now Altum Bellum chapters can be claimed right here.
The Grand Creation serial, part of the Ancient Chronicle saga has been completed. Shortly the serial will be uploaded to KJP -- a big thank you to all the contributors!
WARNING: Custom domain http://mni.supernovafire.com expired. You can all return to the base domain, https://matanuiinc.forumotion.net.
Internet Explorer 9 Users, please turn on "Compatibility View" to fix a glitch that prevents the last few drop down menu options from showing normally.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Their Mistake

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Their Mistake Empty Their Mistake 9th March 2012, 1:13 pm

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake Story Manager

Their Mistake is an audiobook currently scheduled to be released in mid 2012 on KanohiJournal Publications. It is currently undergoing the final stages of scripting and Mata Nui Inc. is looking for anybody who is interested in voicing the final product.

Based on the tales of the Core Wars in the official canon, the audiobook will have a particular focus on the Element Lords and the Great Beings. Their Mistake will expand on the events of the Core War, the Shattering and the Matoran Universe’s creation. What’s more – is everything as it seems in this version of the War? Did it really begin as a rivalry between the Fire and Ice, or is there something more sinister at work?

Here are the so far completed scripts, which will be used for Auditions, coming later this year:

Prologue

Six bio-mechanical beings stood outside a large stone door in the ground, waiting. Their names, which have long since been lost to history through the corridors of time, are not important. Each was from a different tribe: fire, water, ice, jungle, sand, and rock. All were prominent figures in their own tribes, but today they had assembled here at the bidding of the Great Beings, Spherus Magna’s benevolent and mysterious rulers. Each had also been given specific instructions to the location of the underground cavern that they now stood in. In the center of the subterranean room’s floor was a great stone symbol which none present knew. Water could be heard dripping from unseen stalagmites on the ceiling high above. No one had spoken since they had arrived individually. The one from the sand tribe stopped twirling the small blade he kept at his side and broke the silence.

Sand: I don’t know about any of you, but I didn’t come here to just sit around here and rust.

The one from the water tribe spoke in a calm, soothing voice.

Water: Patience, friend. The Great Beings have never summoned anyone just to keep them waiting.

The being representing the Rock tribe interjected.

Rock: True, but as I recall, one of my tribe was once sought them out for an audience, and she has not been heard of since. And no one that I know of has ever seen them directly, or at least claims to. Why don’t they show themselves, if they are so wise and powerful?

The one from the jungle tribe turned from examining the walls of the chamber.

Jungle: Who can fathom their wisdom? But I for one am more concerned with the reason for our being here. I was told nothing about this meeting just that it was of the utmost importance.

The being of the sand tribe who had spoken first continued to flick his blade from hand to hand. The hard-looking ice tribe member chimed in.

Ice: I wasn’t told anything either, and I don’t appreciate being kept in the dark.

Rock: I’ll bet they use secrecy to hide their weaknesses. I have to remember that.

Ice: But if they called someone from each tribe here, it must be important. So I will wait. What about you, fire-face? Are you going to stay silent forever?

The one from the fire tribe had been the most reclusive of the gathered beings. He raised his head from his thoughts and addressed his counterparts.

Fire: As our cold-blooded companion here pointed out, there is a member of every tribe on the planet present. I assume we all have the same backgrounds? Warriors, respected leaders of many? The reason we are here must have something to do with that.

The one from the Ice tribe was about to reply, when the stone symbol on the floor moved. It slid neatly back into a crevice, revealing a short flight of steps ending in a concealed room, much smaller than the large cavern above. The gathered beings walked down to the bottom of the stairs, and looked around. The wall were covered in runes which none of them understood. Before anyone could speak, a figure seemed to materialize out of the stone wall. He was hooded and cloaked, tall, yet his face was shrouded in darkness. When he spoke, his voice was deep and imposing.

Morkoth: I am Morkoth. You have each been summoned here for the same reason. Come. Follow and I will tell you of that reason.

The figure walked toward the stairs and began to ascend up them. The Ice tribe member cast a backward glance at the room they were leaving, and then joined the rest behind their strange host.

Morkoth: The Great Beings, of which I am one, have ruled Spherus Magna for hundreds of millennia past. This, you already know. But when in horrible failure of our attempt to build a massive, self-sustaining robot 40 millennia ago, hundreds of lives were lost. Ever since, the Agori villagers have been losing faith in our ability to rule, even as we have doubted ourselves.

Sand: Could you kindly cut to the chase? I’m not interested in a history lesson.

Fire: Agreed. What is our purpose here?

They were in the large cavern again. The cloaked being waved a hand at the entrance to the staircase. The stone symbol slid noiselessly back into place.

Morkoth: As you wish. After much discussion, the Great Beings have decided upon a course of action which will best benefit this planet and its inhabitants.

Water: And what would that be, Great Being?

Morkoth looked from one tribal figure to the other.

Morkoth: You. You will be given control over your respective tribal territories and people. We have watched long, and have observed many like yourselves. But the tribes trust none more than you; they admire you. And so, those of you who wish to accept their position as complete tribal leader, by the authority of the Great Beings you will have it.

All nodded once, aware of the gravity of their startling new situation. Only the ones of the Ice and Fire tribes spoke.

Ice: I will gladly receive this position, for the betterment of my people.

Fire: I think that we all agree to this… Morkoth. But what are the terms? There must be some.

Morkoth paused, then gestured at the walls of the cavern, and six gigantic openings immediately materialized. Inside the openings, there seemed to be representations of each element. There was a lush jungle in one, in another a volcano, in another an ocean, and so on. The proportions were all wrong; none of the things in any of the six openings could really fit inside. But they were there, just the same.

Morkoth: Enter.

After a moment of stunned silence, each approached and disappeared into his element’s chamber. Several minutes later, the same six beings did emerge, but they were altered. Each one was fused with their element. The one of the water tribe was a mass of floating liquid. The former fire tribe member’s body crackled with open flame. The one of sand had a body that constantly flowed with the movement of tiny particles. The others were either as hard as stone, covered in vegetation, or radiating pure cold.

Morkoth: Your species is already in tune with the elements at a minuscule level. That connection has simply been multiplied. Now you are lords over those elements.

The one of Fire gazed at his hand. He opened and closed it, the flame igniting and diminishing with the movement.

Fire: Element Lord… a fitting title.

Jungle: I have never felt like this before, I feel like I am one with the plant life of this world… yet apart at the same time. It calls out to me, as if eager to do my bidding.

Water: I feel the same. The water is flowing… always flowing… like the tides of history…

The Element Lord of Ice closed his eyes, and the cold surrounding him expanded rapidly. The temperature of the large room dropped below freezing for a fraction of a second, then contracted back as quickly as it had gone out.

Ice: So much power, so little restraint. I now feel fit to rule an empire.

Morkoth cut in abruptly.

Morkoth: Your new strength has been given to you to more easily rule your territories. Each of you will rule your own people to the maximum of your abilities, and serve that people’s best interest. Now go, and fulfill your purpose.

The Element Lord of sand gave his rocky brother a playful shove.

Sand: I bet they won’t even recognize you when you get back to your tribe. They’ll probably think you’re a statue possessed by some spirit!

Rock: I could say the same about you, your mighty crumbliness.

Their voices dimmed as each newly formed titan exited the cave the way they came- a cleverly concealed crevice in the rock face. Morkoth, the Great Being, watched them go. He watched the fruit of his scientific labors leave to do their allotted duty. Some of his brothers had thought, and still thought, that it was a mistake to use such beings as these to rule the planet, even after his endless watching and testing. Morkoth did not. In fact, he was certain of it.

2Their Mistake Empty Re: Their Mistake 9th March 2012, 1:15 pm

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake, Chapter One

As far back as Angonce could remember, the most beautiful thing he had ever seen was the sunrise of his world. Spherus Magna’s sun rose in the east with majestic beauty, the great ocean playing tricks with the colors. It was at this time of the day he could see the farthest in any direction. He often went out on these early trips to view the natural wonders of the home he loved. Of course, he had no need of walking. He was one of those sentients which the inhabitants of the planet had long ago reverently named “The Great Beings”, and as such he had many abilities strange to lesser species; one of which was the gift of teleportation.

Angonce(thinking): But where’s the pleasure in that, when I can stretch my legs and gaze freely around me?

Many days Angonce let his stride take him where it would, his mind wandering with it. On this morning, he ended up at the great city of Atero, where the Arena Magna was located. He effortlessly shapeshifted to take the form of a member of the Preliator species, who made up most the warrior class on the planet; they were usually lean and muscular, sporting old battle-scarred armor; generally referred to as Glatorian in the sports arena or in times of unrest; the word meant “brave fighter”. The former rulers of Spherus Magna had never been ones for public appearances, and after the coming of the Element Lords, there was no longer any need of their public presence. Besides this, the Agori, and even some Glatorian had adopted a view of the Great Beings that bordered on the mythological. Not many of Angonce's brothers minded this, but it still unsettled him that these same people had once called him a king. Angonce ambled into the seating area of the city’s large arena. The stands were filled with a moderate number of beings who had come to watch a cart race. “Cart” was probably an understatement. Technologically advanced vehicles were often used, in contrast to past wagons pulled by beasts, making the races very fast and dangerous. Climbing up the steps to an upper row of seats, Angonce sat down beside a certain Fire Agori. The Agori species were shorter and stockier than the warrior class on the planet, but made up most of the population. But this particular Agori was no stranger.

Angonce: The race seems to be a close one. If I were a gambling being, I would pick that Kaxium cycle that doesn’t ever lose much ground.

The Agori look up, recognizing Angonces voice.

Kyry: A wise choice. But from you, what else can be expected?

The two beings sat and watched the event for a time in silence, the sun getting warmer. The Agori raised his eyes from the spectacle below and spoke.

Kyry: I suppose you’re not here on official business, but I do have news on the situation of the Iron Tribe.

Angonce nodded. Kyry had been an excellent currier for the Great Beings. He had never once failed at his duty since he had pledged his life to their service. Angonce had the utmost respect for the little being.

Kyry: Since most of their tribe was wiped out by an elusive plague, only a few members of the Iron Tribe have been sighted. Their ostracization from the other tribes is probably the reason for this. But I have found one. See, down there on the track riding the Baranus vehicle? He’s painted his armor orange as a disguise, but I can recognize the armor as Iron Tribe made.

Angonce*sigh*: I regret that my brothers and I could never find a cure for that wretched disease. I can’t imagine being slowly driven insane by some unknown virus. If that one down there has the plague, there is nothing we can do for him. If he doesn’t have it, we would be doing him no good by drawing attention to him. Why don’t the Element Lords do something about this problem?

Kyry: Well, you have to remember that they are not scientists like you and your kind. They are simply overseers.

Angonce: Yes, just overseers. How could it have come to leaving the rule of this, our home, to impulsive beings like them? But I suppose we deserved it, because of our lack of foresight with our radical experiments.

Kyry: Don’t be too hard on your race, Angonce. Your nature is to seek wisdom, just as it is the Element Lords’ to rule. They are impulsive, but they are also honest and straight to the point in their dealings. And they were hand-picked by the Great Beings, so it’s not like we weren’t left in good hands.

Angonce: Morkoth… so reclusive, that one. I guess years of bending the elements to obey the will of a being will do that to you. But, I suppose you’re right. And at least we still have our experiments. But let us not dwell on such things, friend. It promises to be a fine day.

Kyry: Speaking of that, don’t you need to be at the council chamber today? The Elder called an assembly of the Great Beings.

Angonces eyes widened, and he chuckled.

Angonce: Ha! Well, I’m certainly glad I had you to remind me, Kyry. I don’t know how it could have slipped my mind.

Without another word, the Great Being vanished, or did he seem to melt into the stone floor? Kyry was never sure. While Angonce was one of the wisest Great Being he knew, he was also the most carefree Kyry could name.
Angonce reappeared I front of the Great Tower, home of his brothers and sisters. The location of the tower was known to only a trusted few, like Kyry. Rain poured down as he walked through the wall of the thousand foot-tall tower; another of his species’ many abilities. He had forgotten that the great size of the planet made the weather patterns diverse, meaning that a clear sky over Atero was a cloudy one over the home of the Great Beings, which was hundreds of miles away. Angonce shook the rain off as he hastened to the council chamber. Standing near the doorway into that chamber was a being he recognized well. She looked up, a quizzical expression on her face.

Angonce: Oh, sorry.

Realizing he was still in his alternate form, Angonce morphed back into his usual one. The Great Beings had no true physical form, or at least none they could remember after living for hundreds of millennia. Each simply used any bodily appearance that suited his or her purposes. Angonce preferred the form of a Skrall, the tall species populating the Rock tribe. Like many of Spherus Magna’s inhabitants, they were a mixture of metallic implants and organic material. They were taller than the usual Glatorian specimen, and had an uncanny taste for black armor. The particular figure that Angonce used was about 6 feet tall, with moderate features; nothing imposing. While this was an unorthodox guise for a Great Being to use, he had grown to don it more than most. The being in front of him smiled.

Gaia: Much better. What have I told you about alternate forms, Angonce?

Angonce(obvious joking tone): That they are quite useful?

Gaia: Come on, you know what I meant.

Angonce: But you could simply read my mind. You know that Gaia.

Gaia: I don’t want to invade your privacy. That was one of the first things you taught me.

The mention of their first meeting brought the past rushing back to Angonce. Gaia was a female Skrall, most of which gender had an almost supernatural power over their own mental capabilities, which included such astonishing feats as reading other minds, and controlling them if the concentration was great enough. But nothing remained a mystery to a Great Being, once discovered. Gaia had found him some millennia ago, seeking to increase the knowledge of her own gifts. Angonce had quickly seen experimental opportunity. He had helped her unlock hidden portions of her mind that had lain, not useless, but unrealized. Sometimes she could even perform telekinesis. But afterwards a strange thing had happened. She had wanted to stay with him, and his brothers. She had wanted to become like them. And who were they to deny her? Having met Angonce first, a close friendship had been there from the start.

Angonce: Ah, yes. But you’ve come a long way since that, and your mental capacity far surpasses any of your sisters.

Gaia: And for that I will always be thankful. But the greatest gift you ever gave me was restraint. However, I think you need a lesson in keeping time. You’re late for the assembly. You’d better hurry.

Angonce: Thank you, my good friend. You read my mind!

Gaia laughed as Angonce pushed the large double doors open and entered the circular meeting chamber. She remained outside, as only Great Beings could be present at an assembly. The first sight that met the Great Being’s eyes was The Elder seated upon his stone chair at the far end of the room. The chair, like all the others in the meeting hall, was elevated several feet off the ground by a stone column. Similar seats were placed in a circular pattern, following the curve of the wall. The room itself was showing signs of decay and neglet. The metal fixtures and works of art covering the ceiling were worn down. Angonce thought that the same could be said of his dwindling species. So few were left after the old wars… the failed experiments… the decision to relinquish power and instead turn inwards. Angonce bowed before the Great Being in front of him. Of all Angonce’s fellow brothers and sisters, The Elder had always been the wisest and most respected. “The Elder” was a title held by the council leader. The one who held that title now had been head of the council for a long time; no one ever questioned his position, because nothing but the wisest and best decisions were ever made by him. The council itself was just a gathering of all the so-called “Great Beings”, which amounted to twenty one in all.

Angonce(thinking): A small number for such a powerful race. Time has done this, as much as all that has happened.

In the end, Angonce didn’t care. He guessed that none of the others did either. Science was their life now, and they had always only wanted that… or was it always? As Angonce he raised his head, and was about to speak, when The Elder raised his hand for silence. When The Elder spoke, he did so in a calm tone as he never failed to do.

The Elder: There is no need for an apology, Angonce. I am sure that you were delayed by some important business. Lets us proceed. I have called this assembly because there has been a discovery of a new vein of exsidian metal in the White Quarts Mountains. As you all know, we are running low on exsidian for our experiments, especially Heremus’s mechanical labor prototypes…

The Elder’s voice droned on in Angonce’s head.

Angonce(thinking): Not that I question the Elder’s wisdom, but sometimes these assemblies could be such mundane things.

Looking around the room, Angonce studied his fellow beings. He knew them all of course, but if he had learned anything from teaching Gaia how to read minds better, it was the art of observation. An empty seat drew his eye. It was the place of a former brother, Invidior. That Great Being had been the original designer of a gargantuan prototype robot that had stood millions of feet high. That experiment had failed miserably, killing many Agori workers in the process. Invidior had never been the same. Becoming reclusive, he never sought to be with others. It was said that he had become obsessed with his failed project, even to the edge of sanity. Eventually, the council had had no other option than to turn the mad one out into exile. He had never been considered a threat, but insanity was a liability to their precious science. Every once in a while, though, villagers would hear strange noises in the wastes between Tesara and Atero, but Agori were superstitious anyway.

Angonces gaze swept around the room to Heremus. He was doubtless paying close attention to The Elder’s report, as his experiments needed the precious metal. In contrast with his humble personality, Heremus’s guise was over eleven feet tall with four powerful upper limbs. The larger form was a great help in his more cumbersome projects, such as his new robotic labor machine, which was still being worked on.

Turning from Heremus, Angonce saw Morkoth in the corner of his vision.

Angonce(thinking): Now that is a being one could wonder about.

Morkoth’s eyes seemed to be fixed on The Elder, but Angonce could tell they were just staring into space. Unlike Invidior, Morkoth’s face was hard to read.

Angonce(thinking): For disturbed mind holds few secrets.

Ever since he had started work on the preparation of the Element Lords, Morkoth had been, not reclusive like Invidior, but less social in general. Whenever an envoy to the Element Lords needed to be sent, Morkoth was usually the one who volunteered go.

Angonce(thinking): Maybe he is like Invidior. Maybe he is just obsessed with his creations.

The Elder’s voice came back to Angonce.

The Elder: ...And who will we send to the Ice Lord to request a confidential shipment of exsidian?

Heremus: I put forward that we send Kyry. He has been useful to us in the past. I do not see why we could use him again.

Morkoth: I have an objection!

That, Angonce was not expecting.

The Elder: Speak, Morkoth.

Morkoth: As Heremus said, we have used Kyry often. Too often. Kyry has had perhaps too many dealings with us for our… privacy to be maintained. I propose that I go as a medium to the Ice Lord.

The Elder: I see your point Morkoth, but Kyry is a trusted servant. He is known and respected as our envoy. What is more, he is an Agori. That gives him an advantage over any of us in dealings with the population in these times, even with the Element Lords who are in our presence frequently. But enough arguing brothers. A vote will settle this quickly.

The raised hands showed that The Elder’s view was clearly the popular one.

The Elder: Then we will send Kyry to negotiate a deal for the exsidian. Assembly dismissed.

Rising, Morkoth walked coolly off, followed by the others going their separate ways, most to their personal labs. Outside the assembly chamber, Gaia and Heremus were in conversation. Gaia turned to Angonce.

Gaia: We were just discussing whether I could help with the artificial intelligence for those robots Heremus is designing. I think I could use my mental powers to help create a better simulation of a real brain.

Heremus: I appreciate your offer Gaia, but their neural network is not designed to be that complicated anyway. They won’t be made to think, just to do a job. But perhaps you could still help with making the electronic control system faster.

Angonce spotted Morkoth walking their way, and decided that he would retreat to his private lab and chamber a bit sooner than planned.

Angonce: Not that I don’t love getting bogged down in technical terms my friends, but I think I should be going. Experiments to complete, you know.

Striding up the long winding staircase in the center of the tower, Angonce reached his destination. The door had no physical indication on it that it was to his room, but he had had plenty of time, thousands of years in fact, to memorize its location. He opened the door. The heat from a small forge in the corner brushed him. The familiarity of the varied tools, devices, and parchments seemed to welcome the Great Being. As he walked to a large stone desk, 2 lights flickered to life in the shadows. He made no sign of alarm as two small mechanoid figures emerged from those shadows, and he was not surprised when one of them spoke.

Avi: Welcome home master!

The one who spoke had a single glowing photoreceptor near the top of its box-shaped torso, was short in stature compared to Angonce, and had lanky arms and legs. Angonce smiled down at him.

Angonce: That I am, and I am glad to be back Avi, and you Makuta.

The second mechanical figure stepped forward. He was similar to the other, except for being larger in build, and having a larger and more advanced photoreceptor. He bowed his head respectfully.

Makuta: Thank you master. It is good to see you so soon. We did not expect you back until later today. I hope you are pleased with the work that we accomplished while you were away.

Avi: Yes! We were able to finish forging your Mask of Power. We used a mixture of exsidian and iron, and the controlled environment is already set up.

Angonce smiled again. They were so diligent and eager to help. He knew of few real beings like them.

Angonce: I eagerly await the results to our work, my friends.

The two automatons that Angonce now conversed with were of his own creation- Artificial Intelligences conceived and built in a great spurt of creativity many millennia ago. He knew not what had brought that creative surge, but its product had been his most proud invention, and his most secret one. Only two individuals knew of their existance; Gaia and Kyry. This might have been against the scientist’s code, but he had felt a strange protective feeling for them. They were things of strange beauty, both outward and inward, and he prize them more than any mere experiment. He knew every circuit path in their bodies, yet every day they seemed new. Angonce thought of the irony of Heremus struggling with a simple command program when, when he had made something close to a sentient.

Following Avi’s gesture, he turned to a small glass box on a stand in the room. Avi pressed a button that was linked to the container and something else. The second intelligence, Makuta, brought that something forward. It was a mask-shaped metallic object with a funnel-like opening near where the forehead would be, two eye slits, and three curved openings down each cheek. The mask object started to glow, and as it did, electricity ran through the wire and into the contained box. Sparks flashed. Suddenly a ball of glowing energy appeared inside the controlled environment, and then disappeared. The mask’s glow faded into non-existence.

Makuta: We followed your instructions, and aligned the atomic structure of the air molecules in the container to your calculations, using the special singe-poled magnets that you found. Also, the mask was exposed to high magnetic and electrical forces, using the element-bonding technology that you gave us.

Angonce had to remember to thank Morkoth for inventing that. He also had to remember to tell Morkoth that he had modified and used it. At least it had finally found a use other than making all-powerful titans.

Avi: Yes, it was quite useful. This time we didn’t have to implant circuitry into the mask. It all came down to the magnetic forces that hold the atoms in the container together. As you can see, the mask succeeded in creating a force-field this way in the specialized air. But somehow it couldn’t sustain it. I don’t know how we could have failed.

Angonce: It is no fault of yours, Avi. Hmmm… I think the problem lies in the simple fact that air does not transport magnetic impulses as well as metal. The mask is perfect as a conductor, and may even work without the help of an electrical current. But air? Not a chance.

Avi’s counterpart raised a hesitant suggestion.

Makuta: Perhaps if the two materials were both made of different molecular versions of a complex atom?

Angonce: We have never found a substance which can be fashioned into such diverse things as air and metal, or anything else, for that matter. Until we do, I fear that this experiment is purely theoretical.

But weren’t most experiments? Such was the life of a scientist seeking knowledge. No all-encompassing material had ever been found, or even proven in theory. Even the Element Lords had to be bonded physically with their element to gain mastery of it. It was ridiculous really to conceive of such a thing.

Angonce(thinking): It was ridiculous to think of a magnet with a single pole… Ah, well. A victory gained in the mind is better than none at all.

Miles away, in those same mountains of the Ice province, a liquid metal pushed up from the planet’s core. It had no name, for it never been seen by a living being before. It pushed up and up, until it at last reached the pressure-free surface. If an inanimate material could be said to have feeling, this one felt free. It bubbled, boiling from the heated temperature fathoms beneath the surface crust, and spread out into a small pool. Cold air temperatures cooled the hot substance. The newly formed pool lay at the back of a cave on the side of a mountain. At that moment, two Ice Tribe Agori happened to be resting in that cave as a shelter from the snow storm outside. They had never seen what was at the heart of Spherus Magna. They were about to.

3Their Mistake Empty Re: Their Mistake 9th March 2012, 1:16 pm

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake, Chapter Two

Metus ran harder than he had ever run before. His heart pounded in his chest, and the freezing air burned his lungs. He was out of breath, but he never stopped running. He had never been so alarmed. One minute he and Caxtus had been exploring the cave for exsidian, the next his friend was dead. The two Agori villagers had been waiting out the storm outside, when Caxtus had decided to make their stay profitable by hunting for any exsidian reserves that might be left in the cave. From there it had all gone wrong. The pool had been at the back of the tunnel in the mountainside. It looked like such a calm, still pool, that Caxtus had ventured to get a sample of the strange liquid with his bare hand. The particles of his body had made no sound as they disintegrated before Metus’s shocked eyes. So Metus ran. He ran from what he did not know, and what he no sane being wished to find out. But he had to tell someone.

Metus: The Ice Lord. Yes, he will know what to do!

The snow storm raged on and the nearest village was miles away, but Metus still ran.

Of all the things he did in his service to the Great Beings, Kyry disliked negotiating with the Element Lord of Ice most of all. Oh, he was polite and cordial most times, but there was something cold about his presence that made the Fire Agori shudder. On this day, he had been sent by his masters to ask for permission to buy a shipment of exsidian metal for their various projects. The two extremely different beings had been talking over terms for a confidential purchase that would not draw much attention to the real buyers, until an Ice Agori had been ushered in by two guards. The villager quickly whispered something in the Ice Lord’s ear, then the titan rose and dismissed Kyry.

Ice Lord: I am afraid I don’t have time to settle this private agreement. The markets of my capitol are open, and you can buy your exsidian there. I trust the Great Beings would not object?

Kyry paused, replying hesitantly.

Kyry: Yes, of course. I can use the markets if you have urgent business at hand.

The being of Ice walked off with the Agori to a side room of his palace hall. When Kyry went to purchase what he came for, he tried to think of all the things that would warrant interrupting a negotiation with the Great Beings. The list was not long. The sharp Agori decided to make a trip to Atero when his errand was completed. Villager rumor traveled fast, and all news, no matter how secret, reached that central city quicker than a sand bat chasing its prey. Goading his living caravan into life, Kyry set out at the fastest pace the loaded down Sand Stalkers could manage. He had a feeling that something important was going to happen in the coming weeks. He had no idea how right he was.

Life, Raanu reflected, was not so bad. As an aide to the Element Lord of Fire, he held certain honors and privileges that most beings did not have. He was never bored, as the intricate workings of a kingdom could keep anyone busy. When he walked down the streets of Atero, villagers dipped their heads in recognition, although the Ice Agori were usually too frosty to show respect, not that he minded in the least. Which was why he somewhat surprised when a Glatorian of the Ice tribe whom he did not recognize suddenly walked up and fell in step with him. He spoke with a particular accent common to the most northern of the Ice tribe.

Surel(Scottish accent): A grand day, isn’t it? Name’s Surel, of the Ice Lord’s Guard. I hope you don’t mind me going with you a bit. I trust we are both headed to the same place?

After recovering from his initial puzzlement, Raanu realized that his companion was referring to the joint conference of the six kingdoms that had recently been called.

Raanu: Oh, well yes. You must have traveled a long way to get here.

Surel: Someone’s got to do it. It’s my duty to go wherever my ruler goes.

Raanu: You could say the same about me.

Surel: So… what do you think of the recent turn of events? A convocation! Not in over a millennia have the Lords decided to endure one another’s presence to actually solve a problem! No disrespect meant to your leader, or course.

Raanu: None taken, Surel. But you are right. I wonder what this could all be about.

Surel: I’ve heard the rumors. They found something in your White Quartz mountains. An immeasurable source of pure exsidian, a mountain full of precious stones; the list goes on and on. I never held much to Agori gossip myself.

Raanu: Ahem, no offense taken there either.

Shortly, the two beings came to and entered the large, and usually empty, joint administration and convocation building. Upon entering they were met with a short, high ceilinged passageway with entrances to rooms on either side. The door on the end wall lead to a special, again seldom used, viewing box for the arena. The furthest room on the left was the appropriated meeting place. As the Glatorian and Agori walked toward it, a cloaked figure peered after them from the adjacent chamber.

Fiery fingertips drummed in heated repetition on the stone tabletop. The Element Lord of flame could not deny it. He was agitated, curious, impatient, and angry, yes. All these things he had been before. But now, he was… bored. It was a new experience. He did not like it.

Fire: I assume that we are here for negotiations of some kind, but how can we start when we are not all here to negotiate!

Most of the others had already arrived before the Fire Lord. The only thing that had happened since he had arrived was the subsequent arrival of his personal aide, apparently with the same of the Ice Lord, and in friendly conversation! He would remember to have a private word with Raanu concerning undesirable acquaintances, particularly with the Ice tribe.

Water: Our frosty brother better have a good reason to keep us waiting. He must have called this… gathering. I have a kingdom to run.

No one responded, confirming the goddess of water’s surmise.

Water: I have heard rumors.

Sand: I’m hardly surprised at that! You know how Agori talk. I have just arrived today and already five different stories have reached my ears, each one more ridiculous than the next.

Jungle: But they all had one thing in common, did they not? All these tales involve the northern White Quartz Mountains in the territory of our missing companion. Whatever has happened, it originated there.

Rock: No matter what the villagers have been saying, what interests me is what cold shoulder will tell us when he gets here, and whether it will be the truth…

Jungle(sarcastically): Such wisdom from the talking rock. I’m impressed.

Before any more could be said, the door to the chamber slammed open. The five Element Lords fell silent, as a cold chill swept through the air, and an icy mist swirled into the room, followed by its owner, who nodded to Surel and sat down.

Ice: “Greetings, my friends. I’m sorry to have kept you waiting.”

Sand: (muttering) “You can say that again.”

Fire: Let’s cut the pleasantries, brother. We’ve all been called here, and I want to know what is going on.

Ice: …Er, ahem, I think you all know of the talk that has been circulating. I regret that I haven’t gotten information on this to you sooner.

Water: Information on what?

The Element Lord of Ice paused, then produced a crystalline jar with a silvery liquid inside that bubbled and swirled, as if it was trying to escape its confinement.

Ice: Recently, my villagers stumbled upon this, or rather a pool of it, in my mountains. One of them touched it and he is… no longer functioning.

Silence reined.

Ice: Of course the secret of this could not be kept for long. Soon, others discovered it. And I, with a mind to be knowledgeable about this substance, let them experiment with it.

Water(snorts): You let innocent travelers go to their doom, you mean.

Ice: The element can do more than destroy, sister. It can transform… sometimes with shocking results.

Fire(coming out of brooding silence): Whoever controls this liquid could do anything…

The Lord of Sand widened his eyes with realization.

Sand: Perhaps even rival even the Great Beings.

Rock: Rival? You think too small, brother. With this power in his grasp, one could dwarf them with ease.

Water: Imagine what we could do if we put this to use. Our empires today would be nothing compared to what we could accomplish!

Jungle: Well said sister.

Fire: When the trade caravans from your kingdom, my brother, I-

Ice: No!

The assembled titans immediately stopped their exclamations and turned to face the one who spoke. The stone table was cracked where the icy fist had come down in cold anger. The container holding the silver liquid had toppled to the floor. Scorch marks where it had spilled spread along the ground. The Ice Lord glared around at his brothers.

Ice(gaining control of outburst):...No. I have made no agreement with any of you. It was found on my lands by my people. If you cannot accept this... I will respond in kind.

Silence once again filled the room. Several of the Element Lords started to speak, then stopped. What more needed to be said? A promise had been made by their brother. One by one they rose stiffly and left, each planning his or her own response to the promise; the threat; the threat of war.

Raanu tried to say goodbye to his new-found friend, the Ice Glatorian, but his master abruptly called him away before he could do so; a cloaked figure by the name of Kyry ran silently away from the meeting hall towards where the Great Beings dwelt, where he would report the most horrifying news he had ever had to give; and alone in the convocation chamber, the Element Lord of Ice stood in puzzlement at what had happened, for though he was definitely not going to give up his new-found power in the first place, and would defend what he thought was rightfully his, he had not called the convocation that day.

4Their Mistake Empty Re: Their Mistake 9th March 2012, 1:17 pm

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake, Chapter Three

Gaia: Wake up! Come on, get up Angonce!

The Great Being’s eyes snapped open. He looked around him. Sitting hunched over a table piled high with parchments and stone tablets, Angonce must have fallen asleep at his work. Then he remembered what had awakened him. The voice in his head had been unmistakable. Gaia had reached out to him with her mind. Quickly, he put on his traveling cloak and moved toward the door.

Avi: Going somewhere, master?

Makuta and Avi had doubtless kept going about their work through the night. They never tired.

Angonce: Most likely, Avi. Don’t wait up for me.

Makuta: Not a chance.

Avi: What are your orders then, master?

Angonce: Nothing today, Avi. Power down and wait. There seems to be something urgent at hand.

Avi: With you there always is.

Gaia was waiting patiently outside his chamber. She beckoned him to follow.

Gaia: Walk with me.

As they hurriedly descended the staircase, she explained their purpose.

Gaia: Sorry for the rude wakeup call. You know you slept soundly through some important events.

Angonce: Oh really? I hadn't noticed. But please go on. I appreciate knowing whatever it is that I'm supposed to be doing.

Gaia: Yesterday, all of the Element Lords met in Atero.

Angonce: That is odd. But what is the significance? We don’t keep up with Spherus Magna’s governing any more.

Gaia: Well, by The Elder’s order we are now. As I said, they had a gathering in Atero. As you said, a rare occurrence. But it ended with all the Element Lords storming off in anger back to their own kingdoms.

Angonce: That’s hardly abnormal behavior for them.

Gaia: There have also been unwelcome… movements, since this development. Agori trade has slowed between the six provinces. And they’ve started fortifying the cities.

Angonce: I did sleep through a lot. How did this happen?

Gaia: Apparently, the meeting was about a new material found in the province of the Ice tribe. It is liquid, and has caused the death of several who tried to touch it… “changing” others.

This immediately triggered Angonce's active mind. The first thought he had was of his new, and still secret, mask of power project. What followed that was a jumble of questions.

Angonce: What? They found this in the White Quartz Mountains? What altitude? How large is the source? When... That can wait. How do we know all this?

Gaia: Kyry listened in on the meeting and came here immediately.

Angonce: He operated without our consent and of his own accord? Good being. I wonder how he can still remember the way here. I suppose I am to try and relieve some of the pressure in this situation. It’s been so long since we’ve had to use diplomacy. Who else is working on this?

Gaia: The Elder has assigned you to go to the Jungle and Water Lords, and Morkoth to the Ice Lord, while Kyry, in recognition of his brave exploit yesterday, will travel to meet the Lord of Fire. The Elder himself convenes with Element Lords of Rock and Sand even now.

A snort escaped Angonce.

Angonce: Morkoth an envoy to the Ice Lord. That’s very fitting. And what will you be doing in the meantime?

The female Skrall smiled.

Gaia: Haven’t you guessed? I’m coming with you.

An instant of teleportation later, the two were in the main city of the Water Tribe- Tajun. It was a beautiful site. The intertwining canyon streets carved out where water once flowed were covered in the glittering rock sediments, and beyond those walls rock formation towered above the city.

Gaia: I sense that the Element Lord of Water is here, the Jungle Lord too. That’s convenient. They’re in the Garden of Fountains.

The Garden of fountains was just what its name implied. Streams of water trickled, or poured, down from the rock walls enclosing a roughly circular small valley. At the bottom, pools formed below the gushing fountains, which fed the many species of flora in the chamber. They said that the only place more fertile was the forests of the Jungle tribe. Here the Water and Jungle Lords were conversing. The former looked up at her unexpected guests.

Water: I am sorry, but you will have to leave. We are a little busy trying to rule our kingdoms. What are a pair of Skrall doing in Tajun?

Angonce: I’m-

Gaia stopped Angonce.

Gaia: I think I can handle this better.

Turning to the two temporarily bewildered Element Lords, Gaia focused her gaze on one, then the other, staring- hard. After a moment the recipients of her mental implant shook their heads.

Jungle: I… see. This is a… welcome surprise.

Gaia: Good. Now that you know our business, we must know yours, as the intentions of two of the six rulers of this world could, obviously, escalate the present situation.

Now Angonce smiled. Gaia had never been on a diplomatic mission, yet she sounded more confident than he himself felt, and she was taking the lead. And she was right. No point wasting time while peace may very well hang in the balance. Their host looked at leaf-covered counterpart.

Water: We thank the Great Beings for taking time to be concerned about our affairs. But I think we have it under control.

Angonce: How so?

Jungle: We have just reached a mutual agreement. Neither of our lands will trade with or accept goods from the Ice tribe. We will hold this in place until the Ice Lord sees reason and shares his substance with us- all of us.

Angonce: That “substance” kills or alters everything it touches! What good could it possibly accomplish if everyone has it?

Water: How much less good could it do if it was under the control of just one?

Angonce: Understand that we do see your point, but we are here to ask for your assurance that no hostile action will be taken on either of your parts.

Jungle: As long as the rights of our kingdoms are respected, we would not dream of it. Otherwise, we will have no choice.

Gaia: The Great Beings had a choice when they made you rulers. Look where that choice is leading now.

Water: But you are not a Great Being, and you have never had to rule a people. And what business do the Great Beings have in our affairs now? We govern these lands now, not by conquest, but because you saw fit to appoint us. If my people are threatened, I must, and will, strike back.

Angonce: Wait friends! No one has threatened anyone yet. My brothers are at this moment asking the same of the other Lords as we are of you now. All this ill will is over a mere pool of hot liquid.

The Element Lord of Water’s eyes lit up for a moment.

Water: Not just a liquid- pure power and energy. Such a resource should be shared amongst us all. And one pool of it, if it is as remarkable as my cold brother said it was, could still provide more than enough for that frostbitten excuse for a being to use.

Angonce: But can we expect cooperation from you and those you command? Will you consider resuming trade with the Ice Tribe?

Jungle: You have heard our answer. We will do what is best for our people.

Gaia: Don’t you see, d*a*m*n it!? What do you think we’re trying to-

Angonce: Gaia, we leave.

Angonce turned and strode out of the Garden of Fountains.

For the second time that week, Kyry was miserable. The Element Lords were known to be stubborn, but this bordered on stupidity. Technically, he should have had an advantage with the Fire Lord, being of the same tribe. Kyry thought wryly that this may have influenced his masters to assign this task to him. But so far, no such advantage had been forthcoming in showing itself.

Fire: …As I said little Agori, I see no reason why I should back down to just one of my brothers, when doubtless all the others are in agreement with me.

Kyry(struggles for right words at first): My Lord, you are one point on a six-sided stone. If one point were to become heavier than the others, the stone could roll in an undesirable direction.

Fire: *laughs* Truly spoken, envoy! But I should think that it is my icy brother that would be the side that does the tipping.

Kyry: But my Lord, if you just gave him some time, I am sure that he would reconsider his decision.

Fire: You obviously don’t understand my brother. He will not reconsider anything he does… unless he is forced to see his fault.

This was getting harder all the time.

Kyry: Lord, I am here to make sure no one forces anyone to do anything. I’m sure that if you just give it time-

Fire: Time? Time is precisely what I am wasting now! I know what my brother will be doing with his time. Finding ways to use his newfound power, no doubt. And if the Great Beings were really serious about dealing with me, they should have sent one of their own. Ah, I’ve had enough of this. Go!

The swiftness with which Kyry was ushered out of the palace surprise him. He stood shocked outside the large entrance.

Kyry: Uh oh.

Raanu: I am afraid “uh oh” is appropriate.

The voice made Kyry jump. He swiveled to see a Fire Agori like himself, standing by the gate. He recognized him as the Fire Lord’s servant, Raanu.

Raanu: He’s not happy at being burned by the Ice Lord, especially since he’s the one who usually does the burning.

Kyry: I can see that.

Raanu: Anyway, I waited here to tell you that I- we- appreciate what the Great Beings are trying to do, the villagers I mean.

Kyry: Thanks, but that doesn’t provide much comfort when you have six power hungry titans staring each other down. Why don’t you come with me? Why don’t you come with me and aide the Great Beings? The world would be better off for it.

Raanu: I must obey my master, as you do yours. It is not a matter of choice, but of honor. That being said, we can both still do what is best for the world.

Kyry understood what Raanu was saying. He walked slowly away, then turned.

Kyry: Thanks you, friend.

Raanu: And I will remember your offer… friend.

Angonce knew everything was unraveling when he found The Elder sitting on the domed roof of the Great Tower. Kneeling, and with eyes closed, the greatest of Angonce’s species remained perfectly silent. He did not move.

Gaia: What’s he doing?

Angonce: He’s opening himself. Letting his being touch others’. That way he can get the general feeling of this planet. You might call it an amplified version of what you can do naturally. He used this often when we used to govern these lands. I have tried to do it, but every being is separate, and trying to feel them all can be-is overwhelming. But he can do it easily. Hmph. We were given the power of Gods but not the desire to use them. All we ever wanted was science, and now we must be the all-knowing leaders again.

Gaia: But why is he doing this now?

The kneeling form opened it eyes and answered Gaia’s question.

The Elder: Because in this time of crisis, it is better to know the will of all, than that of just six warlords.

The two bowed their heads in acknowledgement of The Elder’s wisdom.

The Elder: May I ask how your mission went?

Angonce: I am sorry. We failed to convince either Element Lord to remain passive. They have stopped trade with the Ice tribe.

The ancient-looking Great Being looked very tired when he heard this. Strange, Angonce thought, that he should choose to look old. For it was a choice. Their species did not age.

The Elder: That news is unfortunate, but not unexpected. The story is much the same with the two whom I visited- Sand and Rock.

Gaia: There is still the chance that none of them will do anything and then they’ll all realize how… stupid this is.

The Elder: You were ever the optimist, Gaia. Perhaps. Though I could not use that reasoning to convince the others that action was the worst course of action. Each mistrusts the other, and fears that an advantage for one will mean a betrayal for the other. Even Kyry, with his kinship to the Fire Lord, could not do much more than making him more angry.

Angonce: And Morkoth?

The Elder chose not to answer that question. Angonce could guess the answer to it. The Ice Lord had held his position on withholding the precious metal from trade. It was strange that Morkoth, so skilled in manipulation as he was, could not sway him. After a moment, The Elder resumed speaking his thoughts.

The Elder: In my meditations I found that the people of this world do not want a conflict, but they will follow their leaders to any end even so. If a war does come, it will not be one of justice. There will be no right side. The silver liquid is the prize each one seeks, and it is hard to turn a fool from his folly.

A chuckle with no humor in it came from the wise one.

The Elder: And maybe we did give this world to fools.

Then Angonce knew that he feared for the future of his world, but now he didn’t know precisely what it was that sent the shiver up his spine. He just feared.

5Their Mistake Empty Re: Their Mistake 9th March 2012, 1:18 pm

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake, Chapter Four

Blood poured from Surel’s wound.

Surel(thinking): And it still hurts.

But he could not stop fighting. If he stopped, he would most likely just receive another wound. The long pike he carried was good for dispatching foes at a distance, but against a sword up close… well. He was forced into a defensive stance by his opponent, whose bone sword slashed down again and again. Thankfully, the shaft of his pike was fashion from exsidian metal, not just the blade.

An idea saved the Ice warrior. Dodging a powerful downward slash, he pinned the sword to the ground with his foot, then rushed at his adversary with pike held horizontally. They both fell to the ground, Surel on top. Without a second’s hesitation, he unsheathed his dagger from his belt and drove it downward into the gap between his enemy’s chest and shoulder plates. Death came instantly.

Surel let air enter his lungs in large quantities. When he didn’t feel like he was going to pass out, he checked his wound and looked around the battlefield. The fight had died down from a full scale battle to pockets of resistance on the part of the opposing army. Surel spat.

Surel: The Water tribe.

The day before, an Ice tribe trade caravan had wandered dangerously far into the Water Lord’s territory. There was an attack. Not a large force, just enough to terrorize some Agori. Luckily there were Ice warriors accompanying the traders. While digging themselves in, they sent one Glatorian to get reinforcements. By the time they had arrived, forces of the Water tribe had as well. Surel didn’t know how long the battle had lasted. He had been too busy fighting for his life to think about the time. He couldn’t even see the sun because of the smoke and the blood in his eyes. Limping back to where he thought his army’s camp might be, he thought of how much better it would be if they had swifter scouts. An animal on four legs that could run fast, that’s what the Ice Lord needed. Perhaps with the strange liquid they now had, something could be “made” for that purpose. Yes, he would think of something.

The war had begun.

If you can imagine the angry, surprised, and/or worried shouts and arguments reverberating in the domed structure that was the Hall or the Great Beings, coupled with what you knew everyone was probably thinking, and knowing that neither was at all pleasant or in the least hopeful, then you have a close picture of what Angonce was going through at the present meeting. He could only hope that Gaia had not lingered outside the chamber in hopes of catching conversation, because it would no doubt jar her sensitive mind into a worse headache than he had.

The topic of discussion was, of course, the battle in plains at the edge of Water province. The bloodshed was unexpected and, in his opinion, unnecessary. Heremus’ voice rose above the others.

Heremus: Despite what has been done today, we cannot lower ourselves to this pointless bickering!

The hall grew silent.

Heremus: *coughs* Thank you. Now, I think we can all agree that while the struggle over this new-found resource in the White Quartz Mountains has brought this to a head, the underlying problem has been the rash leadership of the Element Lords.

Angonce caught a few doubtful glances, but all agreed that this was the most likely cause.

Heremus: So, the question now, is how to deal with them without resorting to their destructive tactics so recently shown. Therefore, I suggest-

Elder: Hold.

Silence reigned again. The Elder, one of the few who had been silent so far, now spoke.

Elder: Before we enter again into the affairs of this world, we must sort out our own. Melkor, stand before us.

Morkoth, who had also said little hitherto, stiffened. But he rose and strode to the low center of the chamber where there were no seats and faced The Elder.

Elder: Morkoth, you were the one who suggested, perfected, and oversaw the experiment that created the six Warlords, were you not?

Morkoth: Yes I was.

Elder: And you were also the one who meticulously handpicked the same beings for that experiment; is this not also true?

A flash of anger came over the lesser Great Being’s face and he opened his mouth as if to reply with a rebuttal. Then he apparently thought better of it and simply nodded.

Elder: You have admitted this before the Assembly. You voluntarily assumed responsibility for your experiment when you accepted the task. It is now because of your project that Agori and Glatorian are dead. It is because of your carelessness of choice in character that this world is now ruled by volatile beings. And it is because of your work that those beings now have the power to decimate worlds.

Angonce could watch the tirade no longer.

Angonce: I apologize, but is this all Morkoth’s fault? Surely we are all at blame for this?

Elder: I understand your feelings Angonce, but in areas of discipline, I have sole responsibility. You are right that Morkoth’s mistakes may not have been intentional, but nevertheless he must face them.

The Elder turned to the one in question.

Elder: Brother, do you wish to say anything for yourself?

Morkoth now looked up, and eyed the room in a sweeping glare. The same flash of resentment that had risen earlier returned to his face.

Morkoth: How can I expect you- any of you to understand real science. I made a breakthrough! And now because that has minor consequences, you cast me out? Well, I welcome it!

Elder: I have said nothing of the sort, Morkoth. But you still must-

Morkoth: I must what? Bow and scrape before you as if I had to ask your forgiveness for a “crime” that I had nothing to do with?

His voice trailed off under the Elder’s gaze, now turned from reluctance and pity to sternness.

Elder: I will not punish you unfairly. That is not our way. But I will do you a service in your punishment. And you have named it for yourself already. Banishment from our order for one thousand years will give you time enough to think of how your carelessness has caused pain and death.

Angonce still thought that was hash, but at least it had not been more. In the end, he agreed that the punishment was fitting for such a blunder as his brother had made.

Morkoth: Then I will leave. Keep your rules and guidelines! May they come crashing down on your heads by year’s end!

The double doors burst open as he hastily left. Angonce sat at the far right of the chamber when coming in, very close to the entrance. Thus, before they automatically closed behind Morkoth, he was able to catch a glimpse of his brother’s face as he exited, as well as Gaia, who had indeed been listening to the events inside the hall; she watched Morkoth pass her swiftly, and then shot a quizzical look at Angonce. He wondered why, and tried remembering what Morkoth had looked like as he left. He suddenly knew what it was. When the banished Great Being had left, he had not been angry as just a few seconds before. He had been smiling.

The smiling being laughed as he went through the passageways and out the main tower door. That part of his life was finally dead. It had taken long years to kill it, but now the rest of him was free.

Morkoth(cheerfully): Fools, all of them fools. All their knowledge and supposed wisdom and they can’t even see what is before their faces!

His outburst of rage had all been a charade. The thought humored the banished one for some time. Eventually overcoming his secret glee, Morkoth reminded himself that only the first stage was over and done. More work was still before him. He decided that a talk with the Ice Lord was in order to orient him on what should come next, but only immediately next.

A short teleport put him right in the Ice Lord’s personal chamber, as intended. The Titan started with surprise, then quickly regained his composure.

Ice: You surprise too often. On that subject, I demand to know why I was not warned of the attack on my people’s trade caravan. I had not agreed to this.

Morkoth inwardly laughed at himself again. It seemed that he was the only one who knew the whole picture of what was going on.

Morkoth(thinking): Ah yes, but I am.

6Their Mistake Empty Re: Their Mistake 9th March 2012, 1:19 pm

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake, Chapter Five

The twitching in Morkoth’s left ear, or what passed for his ear, had begun again. As the unknowing subordinate of his schemes prattled on about his many and varied problems with their “partnership”, chief among them the lack of knowledge his master ever shared with him; he little knew that this was in fact the intended design. In the end, though, even the Ice Lord with all his power knew that he could not truly stand up to a Great Being, so his dialogue inevitably went nowhere.

As the altogether unnecessary conversation drew to a close, Morkoth’s thoughts strayed to the thing which was his now single aim in life: the eradication of his brothers. At saner moments he could not remember why he desired this. Recurrent amnesia-like lapses were one of the very few flaws in the design of his species, and even this was a product of their unnaturally long life span. However, in this case Morkoth could forget why he thought to this end, while his emotion and ambition remained. It was when thinking on this subject, as he was now, that his intensive twitch often began. And then he would know exactly why he had started the wheels of the towering mechanism of his plan.

Morkoth knew he was better. Many millenia had past, but he still remembered it; and that is why he knew.

The sentient, which called itself Annona, survived by feeding off of the sub-consciences of the beings around it, but drove them mad in the process. The now non-existent Iron tribe was an example of Annona’s handiwork. For millennia, it had fed on the mind of the creature at the center of the planet, the one now so important to Morkoth’s designs.

However this creature had eventually repulsed Annona by the power of its will, forcing the dream-feeder to seek food among the population of Spherus Magna. That was when it met the Great Beings, then newcomers to the world.

At first it had observed them, probing their dreams. Sensing the immense power that the aliens held, Annona had attempted to devour their minds. But she, for Morkoth often fancied the being as a female, had underestimated her meals to be, only succeeded in stimulating their creative desires. Realizing her mistake, Annona erased their direct memories of her touch... except his. He had resisted her attempts to alter his mind a second time, when all of his siblings had been simply unaware. For a time he had searched for Annona, but she had concealed herself well.

In the following years, Morkoth began to notice differences between him and the others. They tended to desire one thing, he another. It was not even denied that he was gifted in the creation and solving of complex algorithms. But the others had always thought that his ideas were “not really aligned” with their own. It seldom matter what the situation was. Shunning their company for his that of his own mind, he eventually became a recluse. He had resorted to manipulating others to use for his ends, thanks to his intensive study of the mind.

Invidior had not actually invented his great robot, though he thought he had. The only reason the project had failed was the annoying event that the then-Elder Protasious had suddenly decided to reveal the fact that he was extremely paranoid by taking control over Morkoth’s-via-Invidior brainchild. Unsurprisingly, he had botched it. Morkoth surmised that Annona had affected his mind most of all, which filled him with contempt. The only other who had paid much attention to Morkoth was Angonce, who he had found mulling over Morkoth’s research one day.

Angonce: “It's brilliant, but- you know Morkoth it just seems to be going in the wrong direction from what we're doing.”

Morkoth had known it was unavoidable, really, that he would plot to end his kin. He could not study the how minds add and subtract, multiply and streamline variables without first knowing his own.

Morkoth(thinking): And why delay the inevitable?

His bothers, arrogant in their presumed collective knowledge had always kept him in the background. His ambitious schemes had always been met with scorn. Knowing he was their better, he could not leave be until it was acknowledged, or there was no one who denied it. His twitch would not let him.

The plan grew rapidly, exponentially, all consuming in its scope nothing was left to chance; or, at least, overwhelming probability. Morkoth often liked to walk through the entire scheme in his head. The creature at the core first... then his creations the Element Lords... and it would conclude with-

Ice: And that is why I must have more- are you listening?

The reality that he must use pawns to achieve his goal was still irritating apparent, especially in an orchestrated war.

Morkoth: I always listen to what is important. You need more provisions for your army? If they had been prudent enough to send a patrol west of yesterday’s skirmish, they would have found that there are no Jungle Tribe forces near the springs north of Tesara. They have all been pulled back to defend that city and join Water Tribe forces at Tajun.

Without waiting for a reply, Morkoth vanished, leaving the Elemental to his hopes of planet-wide grandeur.

What Angonce hated most about wielding great power, was the responsibility that latched onto it. No matter how he tried to console his conscience, it would not let him stand by and do nothing, regardless of orders.

Angonce: I can’t ask it of Kyry, not when I could go myself.

Avi: But master, your presence would only exacerbate the situation as far as I can calculate.

Angonce(a snort of self reproach): As if I couldn’t change my form and walk right past the guards. It’s not like I have no practice.

Avi: Yes, compared to my readings of your counterparts you do have much recent experience in the outside world. However...

Avi knew he was only following his mutual preservation programs in giving his advice, but he was loath to displease his creator. Makuta was more ready to quote rules.

Makuta: However, the Raeir has suggested that all should stay within our territory until a decision has been reached about the crisis.

That made Angonce’s head snap up from his brooding. Thanks to the link he had devised to connect the two androids to the network of machinery in the complex, they could hear and sometimes see nearly everything that went on there. What surprised him, though, was Makuta’s knowledge of the Elder’s birth name, Raeir; something that all the Great Beings had chosen to forget after the tragedy of Protasious’ death. It was the only time a succession of Elder’s had occurred since the council’s formation. Makuta must have listened a long time to hear the name spoken.

Angonce: Been observing things, have you?

Makuta: One of my secondary function is is to protect you. To do that I must “observe” everyone around you.

The capacity of the pair to generate new subroutines on demand and rearrange them automatically was the initial idea behind their design. It was potentially volatile, but it was also what made them similar to life, more than that in fact.

Angonce gave Makuta a warning stare.

Angonce: There is such a thing as going too far. If you remember the name of Raeir, you should also know how he relinquished it and why.

Kyry: I hope he doesn’t observe me all the time.

The faithful messenger had entered a few moments earlier, but he knew that Angonce never kept secrets from him. Kyry was his one confidant in the public world of Spherus Magna. He had brought the news of the skirmish on the outskirts of the Bota Magnan jungle.

Angonce: Kyry, I’m about to ask you to do something very dangerous, and also without the Elder’s knowledge. But I should tell you that it may save thousands of lives.

A smirk emanated from the Fire Agori.

Kyry: You know, all you had to say was that last sentence.

Angonce, nodding at the nearby automatons, continued.

Angonce: It was originally Makuta’s idea. He’s something of a strategist. Tell him.

Makuta: We have recently discovered that a large force from the Ice Tribe has descended upon the springs north of Tesara. In fact, if the population of the Ice Tribe fit to do battle is taken into account, too large a force. This can only mean that some of these occupation troops have been taken from other outposts. And the Fire Tribe is rumored to be on the march. If the Fire Lord has any sense, he’ll attack the White Quartz Mountains. That’s where the pool is. With a depleted guard, it will likely fall into the hands of the Fire Tribe in a few days.

Avi: That’s where you come in, friend.

Makuta: You should be able to slip in and out quickly, and gather a sample from the pool, in theory.

Angonce: I hope to run some tests on it. There is a slight chance we may be able to counteract it’s effects.

Avi: And without it’s rather unique qualities, what will the six tribes have to fight over?

Kyry(whistles in awe): That is a tall order.

Angonce: You don’t have to do it.

Kyry: What, and sit bored out of my helmet here in this old place? I should easily find more interest in a war zone.

Kyry could sometimes be a very hopeless optimist. His outlook spread to Angonce.

Agonce: A yes, then. Thank you my old friend. You know the way?

Kyry: Yeah. And technically, you’re the one that’s old!

Avi: Of course you will have to travel light and fast. I’ve taken the trouble to pack some provisions for you.

Avi handed the spy-to-be a tough hide ration sack.

Angonce: Be careful.

Kyry: And I wouldn’t be because...?

And with that, Kyry took his leave. He would have no problem getting out of the building unnoticed. He learned the ins and outs of a place with rapid speed.

While Makuta proceeded with his daily tasks, Avi remained still and silent for a long time. When he spoke, he did so with great gravity.

Avi: He believes in you, you know. That’s why he was so nonchalant just now. He trusts you, like we do.

The robot gestured at himself and Makuta.

Avi: You have that effect on beings, though I suppose I am not a being myself. I thought you would like to know.

Was there ever a day when these things of circuits and exsidian would stop surprising Angonce? He hoped not.

Angonce: I am glad I have your trust Avi.

Avi nodded contentedly, and joined his fellow machine.

Gaia(mentally): I believe in you too, Angonce.

Angonce(mentally): You’ve finally decided to un-restrict where your mind looks.

Gaia(mentally): I knew you were thinking about something important. And Avi is right… about you Angonce. You are special.

Angonce(mentally): Thank you... I appreciate that from you Gaia. I needed it.

Gaia(mentally): I know.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum