Mata Nui Inc. | Plast!
Welcome to the Mata Nui Incorporated and Plast! Productions forums. We're two organizations composed of enthusiastic teenagers who want to entertain others. We all want to do stuff, whether it is making websites, creating publications, performing experimentations, and philosophize. Our current focus is to provide fun content for LEGO fans, while reviving interest in the BIONICLE fanbase as well. Here's a few links to get you to know us better:

Mata Nui Inc and Plast! -- Who are we and what we do

All our available content and publications can be found on KanohiJournal Publications (kanohijournal.com). More links on our specific projects can be found in the menu bar or the link that was provided above.

If you are looking to apply as a potential member, please contact us on riglax@gmail.com or bioran23@gmail.com. You can as well join the forums and contact one of the administrators for a job application.

Thank you,

The Administration
Mata Nui Inc. | Plast!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A meeting was held on Saturday March 24, at approximately 10:00 PM EST. The highlights of the meeting have been posted at the aforementioned link. If you have time, please review the meeting highlights.
We need judges for Lesovikk's Hiatus, which has now returned as a fanon contest. Apply here!
Get cracking quickly for now Altum Bellum chapters can be claimed right here.
The Grand Creation serial, part of the Ancient Chronicle saga has been completed. Shortly the serial will be uploaded to KJP -- a big thank you to all the contributors!
WARNING: Custom domain http://mni.supernovafire.com expired. You can all return to the base domain, https://matanuiinc.forumotion.net.
Internet Explorer 9 Users, please turn on "Compatibility View" to fix a glitch that prevents the last few drop down menu options from showing normally.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Awakenings

+5
St. Francis
Bioran23
Riglax
Celu
The Dark Hunter
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

1Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Awakenings 1st August 2011, 3:50 am

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

First topic message reminder :

I'm just working on the official Awakenings topic in here.

Awakenings - Page 2 Awakenings_page_header_1

What is Awakenings?
Awakenings is a comic series dedicated to the early years and adventures of the Toa Mata, as they trained and protected Daxia, and Karda Nui. The newly formed Toa will start by getting in trouble in their first home, Daxia, where they will be trained by Hydraxon.

'Karda Nui' is all about the Mata fighting the Avohkah, sentient beings of lightning created to prepare Kard Nui for the launch of Mata Nui, but instead have gone mad.

You can join the Art department or the writing department and help in the development of this project.

Awakenings - Page 2 Awakenings_story_header

The Toa Mata were created in Artakha around 100,000 years ago, as a ‘failsafe’ Toa Team.

“Awakenings” follows the Toa Mata’s creation, until they would come to sleep on Karda Nui. Divided into two series, Awakenings will be a drawn comic by the fan organization known as Mata Nui Inc, released on KanohiJournal Publications.

In the first series, called Daxia, the Toa Mata are awakened for the first time in their lives, and learn what means to be a Toa. Incharge of their training will be Hydraxon. He will send them on various deadly challenges, with purpose to master their powers, and collect all the Great Masks need to control the six powers. After completing the training, the Toa Mata will learn what it means working as a Team – but as well as respect the three virtues, Duty, Destiny and Unity.

With time running out, and Mata Nui’s launch coming up, the Toa Mata will arrive in Karda Nui, were they will sleep until they are needed. Unfortunately, by-products left by the laborious preparations to launch Mata Nui, the Avohkah, will go on rampage and try to prevent Mata Nui’s launch by killing the Av-matoran responsible for the launch of Mata Nui and the Avohkah’s creation. The Avohkah are pure lighting energy, and thus are not killable. Only the energy storm that will be created upon Mata Nui’s launch will be powerful enough to stop them.

Is there enough time for the Toa Mata to hold off the Avohkah, so the Av-Matoran can escape and prepare the launch of Mata Nui? Even more, can the Toa Mata reach the Codex and sleep until they are needed? Time will tell, in the first tail of the Toa Mata, before even Time begun.

Awakenings - Page 2 Awakenings_art_header_1
We have a collection of drafts, designs and pages. At first, Dark Hunter designed them to be more set-like, although later on, he made them look more blocky to add a nicer touch. As of late, those are the only real drawing changes. The first page was recently made, colored, and drawn, while the second page has yet to be colored or finsihed.

Drafts

Original:
Preliminary sketch (Colored) -- The original Page.
Mata Redisign Sketch -- The Second Design
Tahu Charging WIP -- A WIP Test
Poses, Actions -- Some actions, and movement

Reworked Pose -- Latest pose
Newer design -- Final Design

Official

Pages:
Page 1

Colored Page One
Page Two WIP
Colored Page Two

----
Awakenings - Page 2 Mni_logo10
----

Awakenings - Page 2 Kjlogo

20/8/11 -- Riglax -- I've updated the story section, but as well as optimized some of the banners, including the KJP and the MNI logo.

20/8/11 -- Derp. This topic is about Awakenings and whatever happens to it from now and on. DH is obviously gone, and for now it's frozen until a new leader is found. Here's comic one script:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Riglax on 17th July 2012, 4:28 am; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : fix'd errors.)

26Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 24th August 2011, 1:40 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Okay, lol, I was just saying that because I have time to do stuff DH can't.

Um, yeah, but right now we haven't one.

27Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 24th August 2011, 1:41 pm

St. Francis

St. Francis

Plast! CEO

Plast! CEO

We will once we hire one.

-Spawn

28Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 24th August 2011, 1:48 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Yeah, but what has this to do with anything? Once Bzpower is up, we'll search for some more. The point is to get Awakenings done for launch.

29Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 24th August 2011, 1:51 pm

St. Francis

St. Francis

Plast! CEO

Plast! CEO

Which we can't do if TDH is constantly away. T_T

THIS, Rig, is what I am trying to get to. We cannot LAUNCH in the next week if TDH is gone. Hence, we will all be busy with school except you, and our schedule doesn't revolve around your way of working. If we want to get this done before the last vestiges of summer slip away, we need to get Awakenings page 3 done pronto.

-Spawn

30Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 24th August 2011, 2:09 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Alright, come down. I was saying I have some free time, so I can fill up the KJP pages for DH. I'm the one who's been bugging the forum lately for the launch. We need to launch now.

I never said delay the launch. 0_0 Anyway, do we wait for DH to tells us what he wants to do, or do we go ahead and fill it up for him?

31Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 8th September 2011, 9:47 pm

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

Page 3 inked, so that ya'll don't get all fidgety in anticipation!http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bioniclemadfan554/things/AWAKENINGS/awakenings_page_3_inked_1.jpg

32Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 9th September 2011, 12:39 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Awesome ^_^. Now if we actually launch, that'd be great.

33Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 10th September 2011, 11:44 am

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake Story Manager

Their Mistake Story Manager

Sweet dude!

34Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 10th September 2011, 7:24 pm

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

Colored!

Just needs shading and it's ready for launch!

35Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 10th September 2011, 7:32 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Seriously, best page yet. It's one of the greatest fan comics I've seen.

36Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 13th September 2011, 10:30 pm

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

Revised blurb for the Awakenings page on KJP:

Around 100,000 years ago, the Toa Mata were created on Artakha as a ‘failsafe’ in the case of Mata Nui’s downfall...

Awakenings follows the legendary team of Toa before their launch into the Endless Ocean following the Great Cataclysm. Divided into two series, Awakenings will be produced by Mata Nui Inc, and released as a part of KanohiJournal Publications.

In the first series, the Toa Mata are awakened for the first time and learn what it means to be a Toa. Trained by Hydraxon, they will be embark on deadly missions and engage in various challenges in order to discover and master their powers. After completing their training, for the first time the Toa Mata will learn what it means to work as a team – and to respect the Three Virtues.

The second series will see the Toa Mata in Karda Nui, where they will have to protect the resident Matoran workers and prepare to fulfill their destiny. Unfortunately, by-products left by the laborious preparations to launch Mata Nui, the Avohkah, go on rampage and try to prevent Mata Nui’s launch by killing the Av-Matoran. The Avohkah are sentient creatures made of pure lighting energy, and the Toa Mata must figure out how to stop them in a race against time, in the Time Before Time!

I didn't like how much of the story was given away by the old one, and there were a couple spelling and grammar errors.

Page 3 is nearing completion!

37Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 14th September 2011, 12:53 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

*Coughspellingandgrammarwhatcough*

38Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 14th September 2011, 7:28 pm

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

In the original blurb, there were some minor misspellings and grammar issues. One striking one is Codex instead of Codrex. As a hardcore Bioincle fan, it deeply offends me Tongue

39Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 15th September 2011, 3:59 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Hey, I'm a hardcore fan too, I was just too young to remember everything XD

40Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 19th October 2011, 10:15 pm

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

Page 3 should be done really soon.

Meanwhile, I'd like to throw a few idea out there:

1. Rework the series as a webcomic. As a regular comic under our current plan, Awakenings is constrained to exact numbers of pages, a rigid chapter system, a standard page size and layout, and requires a uniform art style.
As a webcomic, I will be free to make each story arc/chapter as long as is required, leave room for improvisation and adding new ideas as they come without interrupting the story, the pages/strips can be as large and varied as is required for the action and storytelling, and the art can slowly and subtly change in real-time as the art style improves and becomes more unique.
In addition, with a webcomic, we go back to my original idea of releasing individual pages when they are completed- instead of many at once, but only once a month or every two months. This will maintain audience interest better and have them checking back often for more.
Personally, I think this is a brilliant idea and can work better for Awakenings as we want to produce it. And on that note...

2. Re-branding Awakenings as "Time Before Time". Not only is it a more unique title (Google Awakenings and tell me how many pages you go through before you find our KJ link), but it allows for a more varied future for the comic.

Awakenings, I propose, should be the name of the first series in the Time Before Time anthology. Awakenings will only be the first in a series, following the same story we have for it now. ALternatively, we can stop Awakenings before the Toa go to Karda-Nui, and go on to other characters. We can follow other things that happened before Mata Nui's activation, such as Lesovikk's adventures, or those of the the very first Toa. That series will run, end at some point, and allow us to return to Part 2 of the Awakenings story albeit with a new name for it.

This way, Time Before Time adheres even better to Mata Nui Inc's theme of doing stories we've never seen before from Bionicle's past. ALl our other media is outside the MU- this webcomic series will expand it (or contract it?) into the MU as well Smile

I made a little outline to better explain myself:
Time Before Time (name for the entire webcomic)

*Awakenings (Series 1, following Toa Mata before Karda-Nui) Oct 2011-Dec 2011
>Chapter 1- they wake up
>Chapter 2- they get trained
>Chapter 3- they collect masks
>Chapter 4- they discover something important/get assigned to Karda-Nui

*Hiatus (placeholder title for Series 2, following Lesovikk and his team) Jan 2012-Mar 2012
>Chapter 1- introduces all the new characters
>Chapter 2- shows them becoming a team, shows the difficulties of learning to face powerful enemies as a team
>Chapter 3- some exciting adventure
>Chapter 4- something dramatic, possibly setting up that fatal confrontation with hte Zyglak that only leaves Lessovikk alive

*Awakenings P2 (placeholder title for Series 3, following the Toa into Karda-Nui) Apr 2012-Jun 2012
>Chapter 1- Toa arrive in Karda-Nui, sets up how matoran live here
>Chapter 2- shows the Toa helping around, sets up the Avohkii problem, some interesting sub-plot
>Chapter 3- Avohkii unleashed, Toa are having a hard time
>Chapter 4- Avohkii defeated, Toa go into stasis...

*Prebuilding (placeholder title for Series 4, following the First Toa)
>Chapter 1- shows Toa being created, establishes early MU as a peaceful era of building
>Chapter 2- delaing with being different, cause you know, only Toa
>Chapter 3- shows the first Toa of other elements, sets up the idea of a Toa team, but it gets dismissed to show that the eras are clearly different
>Chapter 4- something goes wrong...? Who knows!

The idea is to show all these cool stories from before Mata Nui was ever activated, and to show a lot of "firsts" and this strange new world of an MU still full of mystery and without a guiding spirit or perhaps even the three virtues only first being introduced to prepare the matoran for Mata Nui.

What do you think? it's a bit ambitious, but I think that making it a webcomic and renaming the comics as a whole "Time Before Time" (everything in Awakenings is still called Awakenings, keep in mind, since that's an entire, large series of unique characters) is a really great idea Smile

41Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 20th October 2011, 4:54 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

I approve the rebrand. Still, though, I don't remember us discussing anything about Awakenings being a normal comic, and not a web comic. It always seamed like you placed that dead end on yourself. Tongue

Before we go power mad and start reshaping the project, though, I would like to suggest a few things. I don't really think we have to push this idea of "story arc names" so much. I don't see a reason to keep saying "this is Awakenings of Time Before Time", but rather give each arc a cool, easy to remember catchy name. Even more, until I figure out how further will Ancient Chronicle stories go, I think we should focus right now on just the Mata.

42Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 20th October 2011, 5:01 pm

Legolover-361

Legolover-361

MNI COO

MNI COO

Rig: What's wrong with naming the various story arcs? We wouldn't say, "This is Awakenings of Time Before Time," but rather, "This is Time Before Time: Awakenings." Simple, and it allows readers to easily distinguish between various comic arcs.

Though, DH, I do think we should only focus on the Mata right now. I'm not saying you should scrap your current story ideas -- I'm just saying you shouldn't work on them any more, until they're needed.

Last edited by Legolover-361 on 20th October 2011, 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

43Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 20th October 2011, 5:17 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Legolover-361 wrote:Rig: What's wrong with naming the various story arcs. We wouldn't say, "This is Awakenings of Time Before Time," but rather, "This is Time Before Time: Awakenings." Simple, and it allows readers to easily distinguish between various comic arcs.

Though, DH, I do think we should only focus on the Mata right now. I'm not saying you should scrap your current story ideas -- I'm just saying you shouldn't work on them any more, until they're needed.

I merely implying that we shouldn't put the titles of the story arcs above the title of the comic.

It's important that we keep the TBT brand the main one.

44Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 20th October 2011, 9:38 pm

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

Oh, and I forgot to mention, an alternative is to have a short break between each arc, but each arc has its own artist (LL, I'm looking at you!), and then halfway through we go onto the original arc again. What I mean is we stop Awakenings Part 1, LL starts the Lesovikk comic, then halfway into it I continue with Awakenings part2 with Lessovik running at the same time, and it goes on like that, adding a new arc and possibly new artists every time a new arc hits a half-way through part 1 point Smile

We'll figure out the name issue later.

45Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 20th October 2011, 10:48 pm

Legolover-361

Legolover-361

MNI COO

MNI COO

Me? Do artwork?

Don't make me fire the missiles. Uh-huh

Lol, I kid, of course. I've been taking a creative drawing class; hopefully the techniques I've learned there will help me with drawing comics -- when Time Before Time gets to that point.

46Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 8th November 2011, 7:45 am

Bioran23

Bioran23

Plast! Executive Chairman

Plast! Executive Chairman

I'm getting rather concerned how slowly this is going. Is the third page still not done?

I've temporarily removed the Awakenings thumbnail from the front page, and I'll put it back up again once everything's moving again.

47Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 12th November 2011, 3:15 am

ValkyrieLightDragon

ValkyrieLightDragon

MNI Conceptual Artist

MNI Conceptual Artist

A future suggestion, maybe:

I could do comic stuff next year. I'm stressing 'could', though. I'd like to get more practice drawing comics before I do my own from scratch, so this would be a cool opportunity.
But you guys must wait until I am absolutely sure I have the time. I have come to realise I chew too many projects than I can swallow, so I'll let you all know whether I'm still up for this or not. Tongue

If you want to know what standard my art is at, check out my Deviant Art Page.

48Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 16th November 2011, 12:49 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

That'd be awesome. We aren't really sort of artists; it's just that DH is missing. Without him, we don't have the storyboard or even a basic outline of were he wants to take this project, since he is project Manager. Neither do we have a topic, basically, the project is pretty much at DH's hands, and he doesn't seam to be coming online to post some stuff anytime soon.

So, right here and right now, I'MCALLINYOUOUTMAN. TELL ME WHAT WE SHOULD DO.

49Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 16th November 2011, 9:29 pm

The Dark Hunter

The Dark Hunter

MNI Board Vice Chairman

MNI Board Vice Chairman

Sorry Rig, too much work in school, social life is busy, and we're still setting up the new computer. I'll get back to you as soon as I organize my thoughts.

50Awakenings - Page 2 Empty Re: Awakenings 18th November 2011, 4:15 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Alright. There's nothing you can show up right now, so we can at least do something without you? =/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum