Mata Nui Inc. | Plast!
Welcome to the Mata Nui Incorporated and Plast! Productions forums. We're two organizations composed of enthusiastic teenagers who want to entertain others. We all want to do stuff, whether it is making websites, creating publications, performing experimentations, and philosophize. Our current focus is to provide fun content for LEGO fans, while reviving interest in the BIONICLE fanbase as well. Here's a few links to get you to know us better:

Mata Nui Inc and Plast! -- Who are we and what we do

All our available content and publications can be found on KanohiJournal Publications (kanohijournal.com). More links on our specific projects can be found in the menu bar or the link that was provided above.

If you are looking to apply as a potential member, please contact us on riglax@gmail.com or bioran23@gmail.com. You can as well join the forums and contact one of the administrators for a job application.

Thank you,

The Administration
Mata Nui Inc. | Plast!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
A meeting was held on Saturday March 24, at approximately 10:00 PM EST. The highlights of the meeting have been posted at the aforementioned link. If you have time, please review the meeting highlights.
We need judges for Lesovikk's Hiatus, which has now returned as a fanon contest. Apply here!
Get cracking quickly for now Altum Bellum chapters can be claimed right here.
The Grand Creation serial, part of the Ancient Chronicle saga has been completed. Shortly the serial will be uploaded to KJP -- a big thank you to all the contributors!
WARNING: Custom domain http://mni.supernovafire.com expired. You can all return to the base domain, https://matanuiinc.forumotion.net.
Internet Explorer 9 Users, please turn on "Compatibility View" to fix a glitch that prevents the last few drop down menu options from showing normally.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TGC - Chapter One

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1TGC - Chapter One Empty TGC - Chapter One 20th January 2012, 7:30 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Spoiler:

Enjoy - almost 4,000 words long, I tried mixing mystery, action and a bit of history in there. Please keep in mind this is the only piece of writing I've posted in quite sometime, so beware as it might have some errors.

I overhauled the chapter with the help of HN who was kind enough to proofread some parts of it:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Riglax on 12th March 2012, 7:51 pm; edited 7 times in total

2TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 21st January 2012, 8:00 am

Legolover-361

Legolover-361

MNI COO

MNI COO

It's not bad. The structure itself seems sound. I think the way you began the chase scene was somewhat underwhelming, though. If you don't mind, I'll probably make my own, edited version of the chapter later today.

3TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 21st January 2012, 11:24 am

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

What do you mean, "your own, edited version"? I can rewrite the chase scene myself, as it does feel a bit underwhelming.

4TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 21st January 2012, 12:52 pm

Legolover-361

Legolover-361

MNI COO

MNI COO

I mean I'd like to see if I could make my own edits to the chapter and post those edits as a separate version. We can then compare the two versions, figure out what changes we should keep, and thus finalize the chapter. Besides which, I'm dying to do some writing. Tongue

5TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 22nd January 2012, 3:53 am

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

A'ight, but I'm counting on the fact that it won't be a completely new piece of writing. Tongue

6TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 22nd January 2012, 11:05 am

Legolover-361

Legolover-361

MNI COO

MNI COO

Like you said to Skar, it won't be a completely new piece of writing because the structure will remain. Tongue

7TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 22nd January 2012, 11:40 am

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Mm. I suggest focusing more on improving some grammar errors that might exist, and not completely revamping every description. I spent quite sometime working on some bits. It will help me improve as a writer as well, as my vocabulary is much more limited than any person who's mother language is English.

I'll see if I can redo the fight scene myself.

8TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 3rd February 2012, 12:54 pm

Legolover-361

Legolover-361

MNI COO

MNI COO

Forget my tweaked version of Chapter One. I have zero writing inspiration at the moment. Sad

9TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 4th February 2012, 3:19 am

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

As I said, I will be reworking some things myself. You don't have to edit ANYTHING; just point me out some points you think are bad.

It's fine, we'll work on it until it's perfect. XD

10TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 4th February 2012, 8:37 am

Legolover-361

Legolover-361

MNI COO

MNI COO

In the begging it burned – she was forced into closing her eyes.

The first part should be "In the beginning it burned". The second part seems kind of awkward; try "she was forced to close her eyes."

The sun’s soft rays touching her face was bringing it all back. She reopened her eyes slowly, facing directly at the sun rising – the pain was gone. After all, pain was such a familiar feeling for her, and she knew that it was worth it, as the sunrise was all the she could remember of home. That very same image was carved into the back of her mind, as the ancients carved the legends of the Great Beings’ coming. Instead of soulless stone though, the sunrise was a type of memory that could never be lost – none could take it from her, unless she was silenced once and for all.

As much as it pains her to admit, it was the closest thing she could relate to home.

What could she relate to home?

However, she always used to say that we all got our time machines. The ones that take us back to a familiar time – a memory in which we can live happily again, whenever we want. There’s no difference if it is a memory, an image or an object; it is all we got. Since she left home, each and every day she would watch the sun rise, just as she used to do while she was home. But this wasn’t one of these days. Her memories were blocked again, as a shadow blocked the rays of the sun.

Darkness took her the feeling of happiness once again. Her caravan kept drifting closer to the city, at a slow yet stable pace.

I'm not sure what you're trying to portray with the first paragraph quoted here. In the second paragraph, "Darkness took her the feeling of happiness once again," should be changed.

That's all I have for now.

11TGC - Chapter One Empty TGC Chapter One 20th February 2012, 1:13 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Approved version is up with GT's tweaks:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Riglax on 10th March 2012, 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total

12TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 9th March 2012, 6:56 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

A'ight. If you guys are kind enough to proofread it and tell me if everything's okay, I'll approve it.

13TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 9th March 2012, 9:22 pm

GoldenTahu

GoldenTahu

Their Mistake Story Manager

Their Mistake Story Manager

I REALLY like this chapter. It's very suspenseful and has mostly good quality dialogue, and you did the action sequence very well. Keep that in mind when you read my rant on some minor plot points below. Tongue

Spoiler:

I've taken out all the grammatical errors and the like. the red highlighted passages are what I would consider removing from the chapter. In order of the highlights:

1.Do we really have to take another long leap back into history concerning where the Bionicle legend started? We can just have the GBs come in Origins without making their coming prophesied;

2.Since this is before both the shattering and the prototype robot explosion, as well as after the war before the GBs assumed a relatively peaceful control, why would Vorox teams raid the city? I know Ackar is just exaggerating here, but the Vorox should be the high point of society at this point and the least like warriors according to canon;

3.We've established in Their Mistake that the Iron Tribe went mad before the prototype incident(also according to canon), so no Iron Tribe members should be in this society;

4.If the current Elder is the second one, who was the first?;

5.Lastly, the final two red passages seem to give away too much about the plot and where it's headed. Wouldn't it be better to suspend the rigid acknowledgement of canon for drama? By this I mean not saying "By the way this happens after the story", and not actual story structure.

14TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 10th March 2012, 11:07 am

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

Thanks, I haven't written anything in a long time. I'll check the grammatical changes one more time, because it looks like you copied the text, in the process having the BBCode erased. Derp, more work for me. XD

Here's my reply to your five points:

1. I didn't mean that the "ancients" (i.e. Magma, Sea and Stone Glatorian and Agori) carved in stone the coming of the Great Beings before they came, but after. Haven't you noticed how important events in history are often recorded? Well, when the war ended, they depicted their coming and Altum Bellum all over the walls.

2. Sand Glatorian are present all over Spherus Magna, as they have not yet evolved into Vorox. They are still the same species as other Glatorian. However, think of it like this; there is a beginning to all that. What if the Glatorian leaving in the most deserted areas of the Great Barren (that's where the Sand Tribe is) formed small groups of bandits, thief and warriors that traveled all over Spherus Magna and raided anything they could for money? The locals would name them "Vorox", and that's why it's a team and not a pack. They are civilized war criminals and thiefs. Afterwards, most of the Sand Tribe members would pick up that lifestyle to evolve into Vorox.

3. You did...? That's not consistent with canon. This is set 150,234 years before the Great Cataclysm, and 50,234 years before the Shattering. The Iron Tribe will exist for another 47,234 years, as it vanished 103,000 years before the Great Cataclysm, and 3,000 years before the Shattering. Might wanna edit that.

4. It's all part of the story that unfolded years before this serial plays out. It's in the storyboard, labeled as background.

5. There's several reasons why I did that; there's no point in keeping it secret, as it's irrelevant to the overall plot, and because it allows the reader to get a perspective of where this is taking place.

Alright. I am planning a final update to the storyboard to finalize the story, then I will approve most of the chapters and edit them to avoid any conflicts. TGC should be finished by then. If anyone doesn't have a problem, I will approve Chapter One, as it's been proofread twice.

Approved version:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Riglax on 12th March 2012, 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

15TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 12th March 2012, 6:27 am

ValkyrieLightDragon

ValkyrieLightDragon

MNI Conceptual Artist

MNI Conceptual Artist

I will now go an record/read it, and see if there are any more minor mistakes to be corrected.

*starts reading*

Okay, there are some bits and pieces a little awry:

"such importance did her past hold dear."
This sounds...iffy. It doesn't quite make sense. How can 'the past' hold something dear? It would make sense if it sounded something like: "such did her past mean to her" or "she held such important pasts dear."

“I am sorry.”

“But I’m afraid the only way one..."

(For the above two lines)You only need a closing quote if the next character speaking is a new speaker. Otherwise, just leave it as "I am sorry.
And then just continue on as usual.

"just please; I’ve traveled" "Travelled". Spelling correction.

"As I’ve said - a friend of mine said she": preferably change it to 'told me', otherwise the word 'said' is used too often.

"just let vorox": let's be consistent here; if 'Glatorian' is capitalised, make 'Vorox' the same, please.

"I’ve been traveling from ". Again: "travelling".

"the guard - was preparing to make a reply suited to the situation." One: the dash is not required. Two: change that end bit to "suitable for the situation".

"of his strong suits". Huh? Suits? Like, the thing men wear to a formal evening? I haven't ever heard this word used in the sense before. Preferably use something a little clearer, like: 'points'.

"You’re the last person I would expect doing something without some goods for yourself in the end"....ummm... not sure about this sentence, unless she's speaking slang. The 'goods' needs to be reworded somehow.

", that was how things here" I think the 'how things were like here' is missing there...

"you seem to be traveling somewhere else" Same mistake as already mentioned. Actually, replace it with something else. Is Rohkea literally travelling to a different destination, or is it just figuratively speaking? If it's the latter, find a different figure of speech.

"It has served as Fire Tribe’s main": "as 'the' Fire Tribe's..."

"who dared to stand his way - ": "to stand in his way". The 'in' is missing.

"that just how he was." "that's"

Okay, that's all I've managed so far. I'll do the rest another time.

16TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 12th March 2012, 7:37 pm

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

"such importance did her past hold dear."
This sounds...iffy. It doesn't quite make sense. How can 'the past' hold something dear? It would make sense if it sounded something like: "such did her past mean to her" or "she held such important pasts dear."

Rohkea is attached to the past; hold dear also has that meaning.

“I am sorry.”

“But I’m afraid the only way one..."

(For the above two lines)You only need a closing quote if the next character speaking is a new speaker. Otherwise, just leave it as "I am sorry.
And then just continue on as usual.

It's for introduction's sake, and resembles a long pause. If you just need to have it changed, I'll change it.

"just please; I’ve traveled" "Travelled". Spelling correction.

"I’ve been traveling from ". Again: "travelling".

"you seem to be traveling somewhere else" Same mistake as already mentioned. Actually, replace it with something else. Is Rohkea literally travelling to a different destination, or is it just figuratively speaking? If it's the latter, find a different figure of speech.

Traveling is the US spelling, travelling the BE. Other examples are: counseling/counselling, counselor/counsellor, modeling/modelling, quarreled/quarrelled, cruelest/cruellest, etc. And yes, it is a figure of speech. I don't see why it needs changing, but if you insist.

"just let vorox": let's be consistent here; if 'Glatorian' is capitalised, make 'Vorox' the same, please.

Again, it's not that important, but I'll look into it.

"of his strong suits". Huh? Suits? Like, the thing men wear to a formal evening? I haven't ever heard this word used in the sense before. Preferably use something a little clearer, like: 'points'.

Check this out.

"You’re the last person I would expect doing something without some goods for yourself in the end"....ummm... not sure about this sentence, unless she's speaking slang. The 'goods' needs to be reworded somehow.

"As I’ve said - a friend of mine said she": preferably change it to 'told me', otherwise the word 'said' is used too often.

"the guard - was preparing to make a reply suited to the situation." One: the dash is not required. Two: change that end bit to "suitable for the situation".

", that was how things here" I think the 'how things were like here' is missing there...

"It has served as Fire Tribe’s main": "as 'the' Fire Tribe's..."

"who dared to stand his way - ": "to stand in his way". The 'in' is missing.

"that just how he was." "that's"

I'll look into these. I don't see any more mistakes; after all, it's been proofread a couple of times by a handful of people.

17TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 14th March 2012, 6:12 am

ValkyrieLightDragon

ValkyrieLightDragon

MNI Conceptual Artist

MNI Conceptual Artist

@Riglax:

Half of these I don't actually insist. They're just suggestions. My correcting is always very blunt and direct, so I apologise if I sound very harsh.

Ah, my bad with all the 'traveling'. XP I didn't make the same mistake with words such as 'rumor', knowing that you wanted to use the american spelling. But the 'one L' is new to me.

Learnt something new with the 'suit' and 'hold dear'. XD Again, my mistake.

Just trying to help out with the insy-winsy details. I'll make sure though to double-check some of the grammatical 'cliches' (so to speak) before I utter a correction. Smile

18TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 14th March 2012, 10:36 am

Riglax

Riglax

MNI CEO

MNI CEO

I edited most of them anyway XD It's not a problem really, just that I have to edit and copy-paste three versions of the chapter.

Funny thing is I am not from America. I usually use the English typos, but oh well. At least it's consistent within the text.

19TGC - Chapter One Empty Re: TGC - Chapter One 24th March 2012, 11:30 pm

ValkyrieLightDragon

ValkyrieLightDragon

MNI Conceptual Artist

MNI Conceptual Artist

I didn't want to hassle you any more than necessary (because I know how annoying it is to make corrections.) But nothing is more embarrasing than having those tiny little, simple mistakes poke out obviously.

That being said, here are a few more I've found:

"determination to persuade his goal": Is it 'persuade', or 'persue'? Just wondering.

"that you would even spent": Either 'that you would even spend' or 'that you would have even spent'.

"behind Osavus and Invidior, which were": I think it would be preferable to change 'which' to 'who'. Otherwise it's confusing whether the 'which' refers to the door or to the two GBs.

"giant robot was standing over city, watching": 'over the city'; 'the' was missing.

"stole a pile of exsistian": correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it supposed to be 'exidian'?

"corner of his eye, Rannu": Ooops, wrong spelling for 'Raanu'.

"Ackar noticed that Raanu was gone - he quickly dove into the crowd, looking for signs of Raanu": I think it wouldn't harm to have the second 'Raanu' turned to 'him' or 'the red Agori' or 'his colleague'. I think a lot of the action scene uses their names too often. Perhaps vary it with a couple more pronouns such as I mentioned; 'fire/red Glatorian', 'fire/red Agori', 'Agori Guard', 'Glatorian Guard' etc. This not fully necessary, but it's just a suggestion.

"you trying to doge that!" Ackar crowed": 'dodge', I believe it is. Unless it's another 'American spelling'.

"“This is Varonis,” said Angonce": the fullstop is missing at the end of the sentence here.

Otherwise, awesome. Smile I'm looking forward to reading it out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum